Although we know they can be uncomfortable and kind of dorky looking, rubber bands are a very important part of your orthodontic treatment. They work along with your braces to help achieve a beautiful smile and an ideal bite. Being faithful about wearing your rubber bands is one of the most crucial determinants of whether or not your treatment will be completed on time.
Why Wear Rubber Bands?
With braces, we are able to straighten the upper and lower teeth independent to one another. Rubber bands connect your upper and lower braces and help to correct an underbite or overbite, helping us to create the perfect bite for you.
Tips for wearing elastics:
- Wear your rubber bands as instructed by Dr. Weber.
- If you are instructed to wear your rubber bands 24/7, only remove them to eat your main meals of the day (breakfast/lunch/dinner) or to brush and floss.
- Use the right ones – All elastics are not the same, only use the ones recommended by Dr. Weber.
- Rubber bands get stretched out with wear and lose their effectiveness after about 6-8 hours, so replace 3-4 times a day with new rubber bands. A good routine to follow is to place new rubber bands when you brush and floss after eating your main meals – breakfast, lunch, dinner and once again before you go to bed.
- If your rubber bands break you need to replace them immediately, so keep a spare pack with you at all times.
A Little Pain, A Lot of Gain!
Initially, wearing elastics will make your teeth sore, but the soreness will go away after a couple of days of continuous wear. In the end, you’ll find that dealing with the temporary discomfort caused by rubber bands is well worth the outcome – a beautifully aligned smile and bite.
We hope these tips will help and if you are someone who is thinking about orthodontic treatment, contact us at Weber Orthodontics today to schedule a free comprehensive consultation with our Kansas City orthodontist. We look forward to hearing from you!