Do you ever wish there was a way to prevent or dull the soreness you feel after you’ve tightened your braces? If so, our Kansas City Orthodontic team is happy to grant your wish! There are many things you can do to make your orthodontic treatment more comfortable, successful, and beneficial, and those things are:
- Sip on ice water – especially if you are in the first 6 month of orthodontic treatment.
- The first few wires that we use are heat activated, which means they become active by the temperature of the mouth. Ice water will make the wire become less active so that it does not create as much tension on the teeth.
- Only eat soft and easily chewable foods.
- Take painkillers to relieve the discomfort. It’s generally recommended to take Tylenol or Advil—but only as directed on the bottle and only when necessary.
- Try to chew as much as possible. The more you chew, the faster you will feel comfort.
- Call our office and schedule an appointment with your orthodontist if the pain does not go away after seven days.
If you use these suggestions and try to relieve your soreness as much as possible, you will have a better experience and you will find comfort in no time. For more information and details, please call (816) 746-1200 today and talk to Dr. Ashlee Weber or a member of our team. We are here to help you in any way we can, and we will be happy to give you the information you need to have a positive and successful orthodontic experience. The sooner you call Weber Orthodontics, the sooner we’ll be able to help you!